Monday, August 23, 2010

Dylan's Big Dreams Cake

This is for my oldest son Dylan. He just turned 17. He really challenged me on this cake. He even thought I was not going to be able to pull it off, and I have to admit that I was thinking the same thing. This is supposed to be a Lamborghini car and a F-22 Stealth Raptor and a Lamborghini Yacht. No, they don't look like the real things, but Dylan was happy. While I was working on them, he would come by and give my work an inspection and say," yeah, you got that right and that's right but wait Mom you left off this detail." He dreams of building all of these for real oneday.

He had a great birthday! We do not do the big showy birthday parties, instead we let our kids pick somewhere special they want to go with us. We want their birthdays to be a celebration all about them. Dylan wanted to go to Reptile Planet (yuck!), but he loved it! Then we had a small family birthday party. Great day!

Whatever challenges come your way, all things are possible to those who believe what God has promised them.

This was mine and Dylan's original plan. I sketched it out better than I executed it, unfortunately. I was going to do a sheet cake and make it look like water and put the boat in water. I was going to make a pier and park the car on the pier.

For the plane, I was going to stick it on a dowel and fly it in the air. Cool, huh? Yeah, well it didn't fly!...literally. The car, boat and plane are made out of rice crispy treats. The plane was ridiculously too heavy to stick on a dowel. So the plan changed to just putting all of them on the cake together. I tried putting a mound of rice crispies on the cake to prop up the plane so it was tilted with the nose in the air, but the plane decided to crack right down the middle and down both sides.

The plane was the last one I made and I was very tired. You have to really press the rice crispies together hard and then they will become very solid. I am thinking I got a little lazy with it. Also my last batch of rc was too marshmellowy and they need to be more dry to make it work well. So that could have added to the problem. Or..... the plane was just too darn big and needed a support system built for it. I would love to try it again just to see what I did wrong.




Beginning stages
This was the car off of the cake compared to a new toy Lamborghini. It would have helped me to have had this little car to use as a model.

No comments:

Post a Comment